Hoboken Catholic Academy
Home School Association Agenda
December 6, 2017
2017-2018 Home and School Association Officers
|Vice President||Donna Murphy, Jennifer Shukofsky, Serap Franco|
|Director of Class Moms||Andrea Cuttita|
|Parent Activities Chair||Andrea Wright|
UPDATE FROM PRINCIPAL MCGRATH
- Blue Ribbon: HCA, amongst a number of other schools, was recognized for its Blue Ribbon award, at a special ceremony in Trenton. Out of 8 non-public schools who received the Blue Ribbon award, 5 are from the diocese of Newark.
- Inner City Scholarship Fund – applications
- Santa Shop: Quality of the merchandise considered not to be great this year. There were problems with the vendor, so Mr McGrath is seeking to change the vendor process and is working on an alternative system for next year
- HCA website: the website is in the process of being updated. As a result some of the teacher pages are not available. Work is being done to expedite the process and the target is to have the new website up and running prior to the Christmas break
- Campus Ministry Group initiative to adopt a school in Puerto Rico: HCA is seeking to help families and schools in Puerto Rico, impacted by hurricane Maria.
- Hoboken Family Alliance: Following the success of Hoboken Family Alliance schools evening, HCA held an Open House for prospective families last Thursday.
- HCA choir to sing at Hoboken Senior Center on December 21
- 8th Grade STEMATHON will be held at Stevens University on January 23, with a snow date of January 26
UPDATE FROM TEACHERS
- Students are all working hard for their upcoming Christmas concerts
- 1, 2, & 3rd graders going to the PaperMill Playhouse on December 20
- Santa Breakfast/Santa Shop– Jenn Shukofsky: Event was a great success. The two seatings went down very well. Sold 235 tickets for the first seating and 238 for the second seating. We made a profit of $3,900
- Poker Night – Donna Murphy: Targeting 100-150 attendees this year. Tickets are $100 each. Goal is to get more ladies to the event. It is a fun night, if you want to chance your luck or if you don’t you can just enjoy the food and wine (for just $25). Anyone who wins a round of Black Jack wins a $25 gift certificate. Packet has gone out this week in folders so please take a look
- Auction – Alanna Kauffmann & Tatiana Joyner: Very important event for the school. Always a most enjoyable night. Ideas for auction items/donations are welcome. No class baskets this year but may have ‘themed baskets’ containing a variety of items. The committee is also looking for big ticket items, like event tickets, weekend getaways etc. If you have something and would like to donate to the auction, please contact Alanna Kauffmann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Talent Show – Kristi Alves/Roslyn Grant: date is set for April 20. Meeting to be set up with Student Council
- Little City Books (LCB) Partnership – Andrea Wright: Potential for LCB to support HCA through working with HCA on teachers lists, giving 20% back to the school on books purchased, supporting events at the school by making appropriate books available at the events e.g., International Night, Catholic Schools Week
- Moms Night Out – Andrea Wright: consideration to be given to having an informal night out each month, or a more formalized event, or a combination of both. Kick boxing and Booze cycle bar being considered
- Teacher, School Staff and Class Gifts – Andrea Cuttita: Teacher questionnaires are under the Photos tab on the website.
- Catholic Schools Week - Serap Franco : Career Day is on Monday January 29
- Modells – Andrea Cuttita: discount voucher is on the website
- Dress Down Day Booklet - reminder that only the month’s vouchers will be accepted for dress down days, the November courtesy has ended
- Parish Liaison –parents to volunteer for St Lawrence, St Joseph’s and OLG.
School Calendar Reminders:
Friday, Dec 8th Immaculate Conception – No school
Wednesday, Dec 13 – PreK Christmas Show 9am, gym
Thursday, Dec 14 – 3-8 Christmas Show 7pm, gym
Friday, Dec 15 – K-2 Christmas Show 9am, gym
Wednesday, Dec 20 – Class Trip Grades 1-3 Paper Mill Playhouse
Thursday, Dec 21 – Red and Green Dress Down Day $2
Friday, Dec 22 – Half day, no aftercare
Questions, suggestions, etc
- Peewee basketball to start in January
- Class Parties to take place on December
- Consideration to be given to having a holding area for parents at pick-up.
- Lunch menu- parents brought up concerns over portions, quality of food and introducing another vegetarian option to the menu every week
***Next HSA Meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 3t at 7PM***